Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

I am so blessed to know many wonderful mothers! My own mother is a wonderfully generous person whom I love dearly. It is amazing that she let me and all my siblings live to reach adulthood while we played hide and seek in her cedar chest (crushing dried flowers from a special occasion), played tag while climbing on the window sills and breaking a potted plant (while I was babysitting no less), threw tomatoes at the house and many other things. Maybe she knew that we would grow up to have kids just like ourselves and thus reap our reward, ha! While her mother's day gift and card are still sitting on my counter, I want her to know how much I love and appreciate her! My mother in law is also amazing. She has raised 6 great children who I am grateful to call brothers and sisters, not to mention my own wonderful husband. She endures cheerfully and is always there to talk to. I love you, mom-in-law! My sisters (both natural and married into) are also wonderful mothers who are raising great children. They are all such wonderful examples to me and it is so fun to call and exchange stories of the mischief our kids are getting into. Thanks for all the laughs! And to the rest of my friends who are mothers...I love you as well. You give me much support and encouragement as I raise my own children and I am ever grateful to you!
Now to my own thoughts on being a mother...I have wonderful children. They are downstairs making me a lovely breakfast as I type (on their own as their dad is finishing his call at the hospital). They are working together and so far I haven't heard any yelling and fighting...so far! Just last week I was ready to give up this job because my efforts seemed fruitless. However, while nothing gives me quite as much pain and anguish, nothing gives me as much joy and happiness either. Nothing is as hard to feel good about but I don't love anything as much as I love being a mother. No job makes me so angry and then, as I look into their faces, burst into laughter or just know I can't stay mad at the little person with twinkling eyes and precious smile. So here is hoping that my own children survive ME and live to adulthood to raise children just like them!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

thank you! this was perfect. it brought tears to my eyes. beautiful!

Kimberly said...

You are a wonderful mom, Deanna! I am always inspired by you. And I'm truly grateful for your friendship as well!