Refried Beans
Start by washing 1 cup of beans thoroughly (spread out and pick our rocks and yucky beans, then I like to use my salad spinner, fill it up with water and swish the beans around several times before pulling basket out to drain). Place in a DEEP pot with 3 cups water. Bring to a boil and slowly add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. Remove from heat, skim off any foam, cover and let stand in liquid 1 hour.
Add 2 cups more water to beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring once, until beans are tender.
Now to refry them:
Heat 2 Tablespoons oil in skillet over meduim heat. Add cooked beans and 1 1/2 cups retained bean liquid.
Add:
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Mash until smooth and cook until liquid is mostly absorbed. Serve warm, top with 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
Recipe Source: Kelly Swanson, Nutritionist/Trainer, sister
My Notes:
I usually cook my whole bag of beans and divide it into 2 cups bags and put them in the freezer. Then when I want to make these, I just pull them out, thaw and cook as directed, adding a little water if needed. When I made them the last time, I remembered to soak the beans overnight so I could put them in the crock pot for a couple hours which left me free to do other things, but I like this recipe because you can still get it done a couple hours before dinner. I also usually do not add the cheese because of the calories, but it is even better with it.





2 comments:
yum! no cheese? ah man!
I didn't know you had a blog!! I was just messing around on Rick and Lori's blog and saw your name! I can't wait to meet you, and I am HOPING and PRAYING that you can come for Alicia's wedding! We need to meet!
I love your tasty tuesdays! I don't cook, but I think I need to try, they look fanastic. We had your stuffed french toast while we were in Emmett. Amazing!
Glad to know you blog now:)
Post a Comment