Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Getting My Summer On!

So the kids got out of school last Friday (I know, really late) and this week I have had two other great kids here for a week of Cub Scout Day Camp. We have been heading out the door at 7:30 and getting home around 4 and the days have been packed with archery, bb guns, nature projects, crafts and science. After a week of that I have to be ultra prepared to keep them happy during these long summer days. Now that the week is drawing to a close I have to get ready for my real summer to begin. I thought I would pass on some info for all of you looking for good activities for your kids. A lot of mine are reading programs because we are big readers but I do have a few other good ideas as well. If you want to earn some free books go here and here. If you live in an area where there is a TD bank your kids can also earn $10 for reading 10 books. If you want to spend some time doing a fun, get moving activity with your kids go here. We REALLY enjoyed that activity last year and have signed up again. Even though we didn't go everyday, the kids loved it and it was definately worth it. If you want to help your kids spend some time reading their scriptures or listening to them, go here. If you want some ideas on ways to get your kids to work, keep reading. And, since you all know how much I love to cook, I had to have a site where you can help your kids learn to cook. For that site, go here. Of course, there are all the other regular summertime activities you can participate in: picnics at the park, swimming, going to a lake or river to play in the water, riding bikes, and lots of homemade ice cream.

So my summer job ideas are as follows:
1: We did this last summer and it went really well. The kids rotated their jobs each morning (and mom was in the rotation). The jobs consisted of emptying trash, emptying silverware, laundry baskets, taking care of the shoe pile, and a swish and swipe of the bathroom (basically a quick wipe down so that it doesn't get too gross). Then, they all had a bingo card with the jobs randomly on it. When they did their job, they put a sticker on their bingo space with that job. When they got a bingo, they got to pick out a healthy snack at the store, usually fruit or yogurt.
2: This year, in addition to the job rotation, I am adding a 5 minute job jar. In a jar are popsicle sticks with jobs that take 5 minutes or less on them. Once a day we will set the timer for 5 minutes and everyone will work on the job/s that they pull out of the jar. Once they have completed it, they get to put it in a can with their name on it. At the end of the week, they can turn in their sticks for candy, little prizes, or money (I am hoping they will eventually take the money so we can work on tithing and saving).

I hope you all have a great summer and find lots of time to spend with your little ones. Mine are growing up so fast and I plan on taking every minute to enjoy them this summer.

1 comment:

The Smith Family said...

Love all the ideas! So great! Thanks for sharing!