Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tasteful Tuesday

Today's recipe can be used as a side dish or, if you are looking for more meatless meals, a main dish. It is easy to through together quickly if you have left over corn bread or if you make it early in the day. Hope you all enjoyed your holiday weekend. If you have any yummy recipes you made, I'd love to hear about them!
Corn Bread Layered Salad

1 pkg (8 1/2 oz) corn bread mix (or just make your own and use about 1/3 of 9X13 pan)

6 green onions

1 medium green pepper, chopped

1 can whole kernel corn, drained

1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups of home made)

3/4 cup mayonaise

3/4 cup sour cream

2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Prepare and bake corn bread according to package directions. Cool.

Crumble corn bread into 2 qt glass serving bowl. Layer with onions, peppers, corn and beans.

Mix sour cream and mayonaise; spread over the other ingredients. Top with cheese and tomatoes. Chill until ready to serve.

Recipe source: really old Taste of Home magazine

My notes: This makes a big bowl. I used it as one of our meatless meals and thought it was very filling.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I made this dish for my family for dinner last night. My husband had a hard time accepting the lack of meat (he kept saying he didn't think it would hurt to just add some chicken to it) but it was wonderful! I am putting it in my book of favorites!

p.s. I added a little taco seasoning to the sour cream/mayo mixture for a little south-of-the-border flair and it was yum-o!