Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tasteful Tuesday

Sorry for my absence last week...I was having too much fun with my company. I have lots of fun activities to get posted now though!
I am having camera problems so I will get the picture for these breakfast cookies up when I figure out how to get the picture taken. A while ago my sister, Lee Ann asked if I had a good breakfast cookie recipe. I did not so I went on a hunt to find one. I tried a few different ones but really didn't love them. Today I came up with the one that will be my go to recipe. Kaitlyn helped me make them for a project that she needed to do and they turned out great. I think I will play with the recipe a little to see if I can add some whole wheat flour, flax, ect. I didn't follow the recipe exactly since I didn't have some things on hand but I will make a note where I digressed from the recipe. My husband will probably be getting these for breakfast now.

Breakfast Cookies (makes about 30 cookies)

2 cups brown sugar
2 1/2 cups oats
4 cups flour (next time I will try 1/2 whole wheat)
1 Tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup prune puree (I used applesauce)
2 Tablespoons water
5 egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup raisins (I used 1/2 cup dried blueberries and 1/2 cup dried cranberries & cherries)
1/4 cup chopped nuts (I left these out)
1/3 cup dried apricots (I used 1/4 cup chocolate chips, just for the kids)
Mix dry ingredients together. Make a well in the center and put in the oil, water, egg whites, puree and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in dried fruit and nuts. Use an ice cream scoop or your hands to make golf ball sized balls. Place on on greased cookie sheet or one lined with parchment paper. Flatten slightly. They will not flatten during baking so you want them to be around 1/2". Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. 8 minutes will give you a soft chewy cookie, 10 minutes will make it a dryer cookie. I cooked them for the 8 minutes and they were perfect. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am excited about these! Yum!