Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tasteful Tuesday

We just got back from our first camping trip of the year (okay, first one in a few years). We had so much fun! Camping is always a lot of work but is so worth it. I thought I would share some of the different food we had. Of course we had the normal roasted hot dogs, s'mores, and pancakes but we also tried some more interesting things and ways to cook. All of these ideas I had done before (camping as a kid) but my mom reminded me of them while she was here and my husband was very impressed. He especially liked the banana boats and asked why I had been keeping that one secret for so long. I wasn't able to get a picture of them but we will be making them again and I will definately get some pictures. Hope you are able to try some of these out!


Easy Omlettes
Eggs
Cheese
Salsa
Salt and Pepper
(or whatever you like in your omlette)
Ziplock bag for each person

Start a pan of boiling water. Crack your eggs into the ziplock bag (I did 2 per person). Put in salt and pepper in, along with whatever omlette items you like, we did cheese and salsa. Make sure to get all the air out and to zip your bag closed all the way! When water is boiling,put bags in water and let them cook. This did take longer than I was expecting. I flipped my bags over after 5 min or so. When cooked, pour out of bag and enjoy.


Roasted Starbursts

Place a starburst on the end of your roasting stick.
Put over hot coals until bubbly on top.
Let cool for a little bit. Pull off and eat. (Or you can place a marshmallow on your roasting stick, then put a startburst on top of that. Roast together over coals. Put between your graham cracker and chocolate like a S'more...we used the chocolate covered grahams for convenience)

Banana Boats
1 banana per person
Chocolate chips
Mini marshmallows
With a knife, slice through the banana skin length wise without cutting all the way through.



Within the skin, carefully cut the banana into three sections, removing a little chunk between each section. This will leave room for you to put the chocolate chips and marshmallows. Squeeze in as many chocolate chips and marshmallows as you can while still being able to mostly able to close the skin. Then place the banana in the hot coals for 10 minutes or so, until the chocolate chips and marshmallows are melted. Open up and enjoy.

No comments: