Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tasteful Tuesday

It has been miserable wet here the last few days. It still isn't very warm either. This is a good meal for those kinds of days. It is also quick and cooks in the crock pot all day. My kids love this with cornbread. I'll be posting the recipe for my favorite cornbread next week. If you want to try out an amazingly chocolate filled cookie, check out the recipe here.
Main Dish Baked Beans

(Sister Moses's recipe)

1 pound browned hamburger
1 pound cooked and crumbled bacon
1 large can Bush's Maple and Brown Sugar Pork n Beans
1 can each red, black, white beans
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon each salt and garlic salt
1 small onion chopped
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
Put it all in the crock pot and cook on high 3 hours. Then turn to low and cook until ready to serve.

My notes:

I usually make my own beans instead of purchasing canned ones. I cook a big pot and then divide into 2 cup portions. Make sure to keep some of the liquid from cooking your beans as you don't drain the canned ones. **2 cups of cooked beans are approximately what you get in a can.

Also, this is great in a dutch oven when camping.

I like to serve this with cornbread...recipe coming.

No comments: