Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tasteful Tuesday

We are people who are really picky about our pancakes. In fact, I only make 2 kinds: sour dough (which is the kids favorite) or these whole wheat pancakes. We usually make our own syrup since my hubby hates the store bought stuff but we recently were spoiled with real maple syrup and now my husband says we can never go back to the other. Considering the fact that pure maple syrup is super expensive, I have been trying other kinds of syrup to make up for it. I recently made coconut syrup and it was one that we all loved. I knew it would be good because it starts out with the same ingredients as the buttermilk syrup and we love that one. I have also had a thing for coconut milk lately. I'll have to get busy and share some other recipes using it since you won't need the whole can for the syrup. Hope you enjoy finding a way to use up some of that wheat you have in your food storage!
Whole Wheat Blender Pancakes with Coconut Syrup

1 cup wheat (whole, not flour)
1 1/2 cups milk, divided
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 Tablespoons ground flax, optional

Combine wheat and 1 cup milk in blender and blend 3 min. (You do have to time this!) Add 1/2 cup milk and blend one minute. Make sure your wheat is fully blended. If it isn't, blend a few more minutes. Add rest of ingredients and blend until mixed. Pour onto hot griddle and cook until done. **Do NOT try to double this recipe. For some reason it never turns out. You will just have to make one batch at a time...a pain, but way better than ruined pancakes.

Coconut Syrup

1 stick butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup coconut milk
Combine all in saucepan and cook until thickens and bubbles. You can bring to a boil, stir constantly.

1 comment:

LeeAnn and Boys said...

I'm really glad that you put the instructions down for this because I have the list of ingredients with the instructions to "blend in Blender" Well they never turn out right. So I'll set my timer and hope for better results!