Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Tasteful Tuesday


When life gets hectic I go super simple with dinner. One of our favorites is to have breakfast for dinner. In my head I think I am doing better to serve this than say, PB&J. Here is our favorite waffles with a yummy, carmely buttermilk syrup. This waffle recipe comes from my father in law (yea...he got published!) and for some reason unknown to me, it has the word awful in it. Don't let that stop you, they are great! We also only have one of those old waffle makers that makes really flat waffles. When I have had them at their house, they are much bigger and lighter than the picture shows.
Dave's Awful Waffles
3 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
3 cups buttermilk
3 eggs
1/3 cup oil
Mix dry ingredients together. Blend buttermilk, eggs and oil. Add to dry ingredients. Bakein waffle iron. **When I make this for breakfast, I cut the recipe in half and have plenty for our family.
Buttermilk Syrup
1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
pinch of salt
Combine in pan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add:
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
This will foam a lot so make sure to make it in a big enough pan. It is also a good idea to make it an hour or so ahead so that the foam can dissapate. This makes two cups of syrup.

3 comments:

Alesha said...

That picture of your family is so cute. your kids are getting so big.

Ryan and Sarah's Family said...

I love the new picture! Your hair is getting so long. It looks really cute. I love Tasteful Tuesdays, I made your pinapple upside-down cake for a playgroup and they just loved it! I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

LeeAnn and Boys said...

Hey deanna buttermilk user--Do you always have buttermilk on hand or do you use a substitute or do you buy dry buttermilk. I've seen a lot of uses for buttermilk lately and wonder if I should have it in my fridge more