Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Tasteful Tuesday

So sorry about last week. I have been ignoring many things in my life. For some reason I have been having a very hard time getting into the spirit of Christmas this year....I haven't even really begun my shopping or decorating. As a family we are doing a service project next week and I hope that it will get me more in the mood. Hopefully I can at least begin my list of things to do before then! Anyway, since I left you hanging last week, I thought I would be nice and give you three things today. It seems like I am always looking for snacks for the kids. I have been trying to be more healthy but they don't always want to eat carrot sticks for their after school snack. These three recipes I pull out fairly often and the kids inhale them everytime. The pizza bites I often make and then put them in the kids lunches or even in the freezer to pull out for something quick to munch on. I might be one of the last people to stumble onto this way of making popcorn but I thought I would share it anyways. And the granola bars?...quick, yummy and usually gone in a flash!


Microwave Popcorn


Add enough popcorn kernals to make single layer on the bottom of a brown paper bag. Fold top over the bag and put in microwave for 2-3 minutes. When it is finished popping you can pour into a bowl and either pour on your own butter or spray with non-stick cooking spray and then shake on some butter flavoring or salt. Quick and easy and much better than "real" microwave popcorn.


Granola Bars



2 1/2 cups quick oats



1/2 cup rice krispies



1/4 cup coconut



1/2 cup m&m's or choc. chips



1/2 cup brown sugar



1/2 teaspoon salt



1/2 cup butter



1/4 cup honey



1/2 teaspoon vanilla



Mix all together and press into 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 18-20 min. Let cool 5 min and score into bars. Cool completely and cut apart.



Pizza Bites




(makes a lot!)




1 3/4 cups warm water




1/2 cup oil




1/2 cup sugar




3 Tablespoons yeast




Mix and rest 15 min. Then add:




1/2 tablespoon salt




2 eggs




5 1/2 cups flour




Roll out or shape into small balls, then flatten




Fill with cheese cubes, pepperoni, pineapple, etc




Close dough around filling and let rise 10 min. Bake at 425 for 10-15 min.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

yummo...I have a rather healthy granola bar recipe if you ever want to try it

The clarkes said...

great ideas!! I'm always looking for quick family night treats- I'll give these a try. We tried to pop, popcorn on the kernel in our microwave in a bag and it didn't work out so well. I don't know if it was just our microwave or what, but I don't recommend it.