Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Some thoughts on LOVE

In recent meetings of the church, I have felt like we have been given great messages about loving others. Elder Bednar's talk about expressing love to our family members, Elder Oaks talk about our Heavenly Father's love for us and how to show love and discipline to our children, Elder Ballard's talk to the priesthood about fathers and sons, the list goes on and on. Most of the time I feel that we do a pretty good job of showing love in our home. Sometimes, though, in the chaos of life, the spirit leaves our home and I feel like I live in a war zone where children are criticizing and being hurtful to each other. This is not to say that I don't have great kids....they are great, and to prove it, I share the following story.
Yesterday my three older kids had a field trip to see a science production. They got back to school after their recess time but both grades were allowed to go out and play together. Surprisingly, Ainslee decided to play kick ball (she is not all that into sports and she was the only girl playing). Her brother was also playing. Near the end of the game, Ainslee kicked the ball and was headed to first when the older kids got another kid out. Ainslee thought they were talking about her and started going the other way. The other team then threw the ball to first and got her out because she wasn't there, obviously. They started making fun of her, which made her cry. Her wonderful older brother, quickly stood up for her and ended the teasing. Later, when they all went inside, Drew was walking down the hall and he saw his sister crying outside her classroom. He asked his teacher if he could go talk to her. Ainslee's teacher then wrote me an e-mail letting me know of the wonderful experience she saw take place.
How grateful I am that our children love and care for each other when it really matters! It is great to know that even though they have their differences, they can put them aside and comfort each other. I am grateful for a 9 year old boy who loves his sister enough to stand up to his friends when they are being mean. I learned a lot about love yesterday!

3 comments:

The Smith Family said...

What a sweet story. Drew always was such a sweet boy, it's so neat to hear that he's still the same Drew.

Kelly said...

totally crying!

Unknown said...

what a wonderful story! I was really touched. I'm sure you got teary-eyed when you heard it. I did, and they aren't even my kids! Love it.