Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tasteful Tuesday

The meal I am posting today is NOT quick and easy. In fact while making it, I commented to my hubby that "this better be the best thing we have ever eaten because it is taking a really long time!" When we sat down, the first words out of his mouth were "oh man, this is one of the best things we've ever eaten." So, while it does take some work, it is definately worth it! I made a double recipe to feed my family and there wasn't a scrap left...some of the kids even had thirds! The picture does not do this recipe any justice at all. Hope you like it as much as we did.


Rissoto

4 1/2 cups chicken broth
8 oz sugar snap peas
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced leek
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup arborio rice
3 oz ham, diced
1/2 cup shredded parmesean cheese
1 teaspoon pepper

Simmer the broth (without boiling) and keep warm. Cook peas in boiling water for 2 min. and then rinse with cold water to stop cooking. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Cook leek 5 min and add garlic, cooking for 30 seconds more. Stir in rice and cook 1 min. Stir in 1/2 cup broth, cook 2 min or until liquid has been absorbed. Continue adding broth in 1/2 cup increments and cooking until liquid is absorbed each time. Add ham and cook 3 min. Add in the cheese, peas, and pepper. Serve and gobble it down! ** I also think this would be great with some asparagus in place of the peas and I would not double the pepper for a double recipe...maybe 1 1/2 t.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

so is that how you cook the rice? you add it uncooked and slowly cook it in the pan with the broth?...going to have to try it!