Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tasteful Tuesday

I usually have the hardest time deciding which recipes to share. My camera is now full of food pictures instead of cute kids! Anyway, today I decided to share two recipes. The first is another one from my mother in law which I have changed a little bit. It is my favorite chili recipe. Since the weather here is starting to cool off, it makes for a great, quick and easy dinner. I usually serve it in a bowl, more like soup (and I especially like the lettuce in it) while my mother in law usually serves it on a plate more like nachos or taco salad. Do whatever suits your fancy. The second recipe is one I would never have thought to put together. My husband and I were able to sneak away for a date on Sat. We tried a restaraunt new to us and while the entrees were just okay, the appetizers and dessert were fantastic. The chocolate pineapple upside down cake was what we tried. Very yum! I still need to work on the recipe that is here to make it just like the one at the restaraunt but this was still very tastey and would be great if you are looking for something different to serve to company. It looks really nice on a plate. Hope you enjoy!
Chiliquiles

1 onion, chopped
1/2 lb. ground beef
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 can chili beans
1 can black beans
1 can creamed corn
Brown beef with onion and drain. Add in rest of ingredients and heat through. Serve with corn chips, cheese, sour cream and shredded lettuce.



Chocolate Pineapple Upside Down Cake

1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 (20 oz) can pineapple slices
1 package dark chocolate fudge cake mix**
1 box instant vanilla pudding**
1 cup pineapple juice, from canned pineapple with little bit of water added**
1/2 cup oil**
4 eggs**
Seedless Raspberry jam
Butterscotch Sauce (from ice cream topping section)
Preheat oven to 325. Melt butter in 9X13 pan. Sprinkle brown sugar over melted butter. Place pineapple slices in pan. Put a small spoonful of jam in center of pineapple slices. Combine cake mix, pudding, juice, oil and eggs in large mixing bowl. Blend on low 30 seconds and onmeduim for 2 minutes. Pour batter over pineapple and bake 40-50 min. Cool 5 min and turn onto serving platter, pineapple side up. To serve, warm butterscotch and small amount of jam (in seperate bowls) and drizzle over plate. Put a piece of cake in center and spoon more butterscotch on top. Top with dab of whipped cream.
**I have found that I like this recipe sooo much better with the following from scratch chocolate cake. If you want to make the cake from scratch replace the astricked items with the following recipe and follow the rest of the directions.
Chocolate Cake
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup boiling water (for this cake use the pineapple juice plus enough water to make 1 cup and bring to a boil)
Combine all dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add in eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat 2 minutes. Add in boiling water, slowly. Batter will be very thin. Pour over pineapple and sugar. Bake at 350 for 35-45 min.

No comments: