So, I am back to beans....you know "Beans, beans the magic fruit. The more you eat the more you toot! The more you toot, the better you feel. So let's eat beans for every meal!" We really don't eat them for every meal but we have started to eat them a lot more. My sister Kelly has an on-line fitness blog on which she posts great ways to improve your fitness level. Last year, she did a challenge that encouraged her readers to go for a month without meat. I, at the time, did not participate in that challenge but it really did get me thinking about how much meat we were eating. It turned out that we were eating an awful lot of it....definately more than we should have been. I didn't really think that a meatless meal would go over very well but I tried it one day and it was success. I have since then been trying to use beans more for 2 reasons: 1) they are CHEAP! and 2) they are a good, meatless source of protein. I have come to find that it really isn't too hard to substitute beans in. Here is a recipe idea you can make to your tastes, that is easy and really yummy. Ainslee ate about 3 of them. I guess my next step toward eating healthy needs to be to keep our serving sizes in check! I also have a whole wheat tortilla and a soft wrap recipe that I will hopefully get around to sharing sometime. Hope you are having something quick and delicious for dinner tonight!
Quick and Healthy Wraps
Tortillas or wraps
About 1 cup of cooked rice
About 1 cup cooked beans (I especially like black)
1/2 red pepper (or you can use both green and red or none at all)
1 small can olives, sliced
Any other veggies you want to add
1 package taco seasoning
Cheese, just sprinkle on how much you like
Cooking spray
Tomatoes, Salsa, sour cream
Mix the rice, beans, vegetables, and taco seasoning together. Sprinkle tortillas with cheese, then place good amount of filling in the center. Fold sides in and spray with cooking spray (don't make the mistake I did of folding the ends in as well....they just all fell apart when I tried to turn them. Just fold over the two sides). Place seem side down in dry frying pan and cook over medium heat until it is brown and crispy. Serve with your favorite toppings.





No comments:
Post a Comment