Thursday, November 10, 2011

Candy

So....warm weather gone, cold weather back. Bleh! Anyway, today I am thankful that all of my children's halloween candy is now gone. I am thankful for this for 3 reasons:
1: I no longer need be tempted by it!
2: No more children running around with a large sugar high
3: I no longer have to pick up empty candy wrappers found in random places, as in my dog's mouth!

So here is how we work halloween candy. After halloween, they get their candy bags for 5 minutes a day and they are allowed to eat as much candy in that 5 minutes as they possibly can. When the 5 minutes are up, candy bags get put away until the next day. I feel that this is generous considering the fact that many parents I know, allow their kids to pick out a few pieces and then discard the rest. However, after having to pick up piles of candy wrappers discarded after the 5 minute feast, I was wishing I had limited the number of pieces as opposed to the number of minutes they were allowed to have the pieces. Anyway, it is now all gone and I don't have to think about the vast amounts of sugar my kids have consumed each day or the large addition we are making to the city landfill for 350 or so days! And while I am considerably grateful for candy, I am especially grateful it has run out!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Our candy is gone, too. Hooray! Our rule is 3 pieces per day, and if I find any wrappers anywhere but the garbage can, the candy is taken away. It was really worked quite well!