Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tasteful Tuesday

Sorry about my lack of posting lately. We have had lots going on and I have lots of pictures but the internal battery died on my camera and the memory stick won't work so until I get a new battery, I have no new pictures. Today's recipe will be the last of my Tasteful Tuesdays. I am needing to refocus my time and energy in some different areas so cooking is taking a back burner for now. If I find some yummy recipes, I will be sure to add them to the recipe blog and let you know. Today's recipe is not really healthy but it is yummy and one I break out a couple times a year just because we all love it. The wontons are easy to make (although definately NOT authentic) and the sweet and sour sauce is the only one I will eat. Usually if we get take out chinese, I will still make my own sauce. Anyway, hope you at least try this out next year around the Chinese New Year.
Wontons and Sweet and Sour Sauce

1 package wonton wrappers (found in produce section)

1/2 lb ground sausage or ground beef

4 oz cream cheese

Small bowl of water

Oil for frying

Cook meat, drain and cool. Mix in cream cheese. Place 1 teaspoon in center of each wonton wrapper. Dip your finger into the bowl of water and run it around the edges of the wonton (you don't want to make it super wet, just enough for it to stick together). Fold one corner over to the opposite corner, making a triangle. Then fold the side over each other and pinch together. Fry in hot oil or spray well with cooking spray and bake until crispy. (Of course, frying tastes so good, but baking is more healthy.) Serve with sweet and sour sauce

Sweet and Sour Sauce

1/2 cup white vinegar

1/2 cup ketchup

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon soy sauce

1/2 cup pineapple juice (usually I just drain the whole can into the saucepan)

1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (start with a little less and add to taste)

2 Tablespoons cornstarch (mix with a little water)

Add everything to sauce pan except the cornstarch. Bring to a boil, add cornstarch. Boil until it gets thick and clear. Serve the pineapple on the side or if you like it that way, you can add it to the sauce.

1 comment:

LeeAnn and Boys said...

keri made these wontons for us when she visited. yummy! we baked them and served them with sweet thai chili sauce.
leeann