Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tasteful Tuesday

Today's recipes are in honor of my mother, just to prove that I actually do cook healthy food. At least every once in a while! This was a quick, yummy recipe that really hit the spot. I have been mixing my rice, brown and white, for a while and I have decided to take the plunge to all brown rice. I found this method of cooking it and it turned out great. (sometimes with my rice cooker it turns out a bit dry, since I don't have more than one setting on my cooker) This recipe for brown rice takes a bit longer but it is worth it in the end for more healthful meal.
Now that we have the healthy meal out of the way, check here for updates on my recipe blog that include my newest favorite dessert, chocolate angel food cake with chocolate sauce and raspberries. I also finally got the recipe on there for the chili-lime chicken skewers.
Orange Chicken Stir Fry
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1 Tablespoon freshly minced or grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb chicken breasts, diced
3 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite sized pieces
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup orange juice
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
1-2 teaspoons orange zest
2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
Heat oil in large frying pan. Add ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 min. Add chicken and cook until no pink remains. Remove chicken from pan. In the same pan, add the broccoli and water. Cover and cook until broccoli is crisp-tender, about 2 min. Put chicken back into pan and add broth, juice, soy sauce, zest and cornstarch mixture. Heat until sauce thickens. Serve over rice.

Baked Brown Rice

1 1/2 cups brown rice
2 1/2 cups water (or for a great option you can use chicken broth, just omit the salt)
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat your oven to 350. Stir rice, water and salt together in a 3 quart casserole dish and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 1 hour and 10 min. Let sit with foil on for another 5 min, then fluff with fork.
Recipe Sources: Kitchen Cafe

1 comment:

The Smith Family said...

I love brown rice and have never tried out cooking it in the oven. I found out why I like PF Chang's brown rice (at least I think anyway...)--I'm pretty sure that it's "short grain" instead of long grain. I bought some short grain brown rice last week and we've had it a few times since, yum. I'll have to try your oven method and see how it goes!! Thanks!:)