Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tasteful Tuesday

I made this recipe a LONG time ago and had forgotten about it until now. I think I will put it on the menu for when our company is here next week (we are SUPER excited to have family coming to town!). The longer you let the meat soak in the sauce the better it is. I usually stick it all together in a ziplock bag in the morning and then it is ready when I make dinner at night. This is really a must try! Honey Lime Enchiladas
1 1/2 lbs cooked and shredded pork roast or chicken
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup lime juice
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 (10oz) cans GREEN enchilada sauce
1 cup sour cream
equal parts mozarella and cheddar cheese
Flour tortillas

Combine honey, lime juice, chili powder and garlic powder and pour over shredded pork or chicken. Let soak for at least 30 min.
Pour enchilada sauce in lightly greased pan so that it covers the bottom completely. Put filling in flour tortillas along with desired amount of cheese. Place in pan and completely cover with a mixture of the enchilada sauce and sour cream. Liberally sprinke more cheese on top. Bake at 350 for 30 min. Turn oven to broil and move the pan closer to heating element. Broil until cheese is golden and crispy.
Recipe source: Sister's cafe
My notes:
This makes one large pan enchiladas plus a smaller pan, like a 9x9.
The first time I made this using a pork tenderloin and didn't like it because the meat was hard to shred and a little dry. When I used a pork roast or chicken it was fabulous.
Sometimes it can be hard to find green enchilada sauce...out here the only place is ACME but for those of you with an Albertson's it is the same. I have substituted green taco sauce and it worked.
This also makes good nachos...but you have to include the enchilada sauce or green taco sauce for it to be stellar.

No comments: