Lettuce Wraps
2 teaspoons oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, minced (or grated)
1 1/2 pounds ground turkey or ground chicken
1 cup minced mushrooms
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (8oz) can water chestnuts, minced
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
zest from one lemon
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon hot sauce
Lettuce for wrapping (we used romaine and loved it)
Dipping sauce (recipe after....optional)
Heat oil in large skillet. When hot, add the garlic and ginger. Saute for just a minute and add turkey, mushrooms and salt. Cook until turkey is cooked through. Add water chestnuts, green onions, soy sauce, sesame oil, lemon juice and zest, and the hot sauce. Cook until everything is hot.
Wash lettuce leaves and separate. Spoon filling onto lettuce leaves and serve with dipping sauce (we just spooned it on).
Dipping sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon fresh minced ginger
2 Tablespoons sliced green onions.
Combine and serve.
My notes:
You can use iceburg or bibb lettuce but we loved using the romaine and eating it like a little boat. My kids love these and there are never any leftovers.
Also, the original recipe called for the juice of a whole lemon. I thought it was too much so I cut it back to 1/2. If you like lemon you can try the whole thing. My kids usually don't like mushrooms but they never complain about them in this recipe. I think it tastes better with them in it.
I serve these with a great jasmine rice recipe I have that comes from the Essential Mormon Celebrations cookbook by Julie Badger Jensen.





1 comment:
interesting...i have less asian in my blood...more mexican, but I really want to cook more. I want your bok choy recipe...i just bought a bunch
Post a Comment