I have to admit that for me, I like my food to taste good. Recently, however, I have decided that we need to be eating more healthy and we need to be spending less money on food. Let me define what more healthy is to me: less meat, more veggies, less sugary treats (we already do a pretty good job getting enough fruit). So, although this has very little to do with the recipe I have posted today, let me introduce you to my new favorite foods: ground flax (it has been going into everything I make), beans (I buy them dry, cook a big pot and then freeze them for future use), spinach (it is amazing how many things you can put this in an not even know it is there), and brown rice. More on beans and rice to come but for today, check out this Chocolate and Banana Green Smoothie.....Perfect for a fun halloween treat and packed with lots of good for you stuff. Before now, I would have balked at even giving this smoothie a try. But it was really good and the kids loved it! (they have gotten really good at eating most of the crazy stuff I put in front of them these days...I have been really surprised) So, even though it is green, give it a try, and then post a comment to tell me what is important to you when cooking!
Banana and Chocolate Green Smoothie
2 cups milk
2 large handfuls spinach
2 Tblsp peanut butter
2 Tblsp honey
2 Tblsp ground flax
2-3 frozen bananas
handful chocolate chips
Blend all together and serve. The kids wanted it to be Halloween Slime.
(this recipe came from a blog Simple, Tasty, Healthy...at least I think that was the name of it)





4 comments:
Cool. Justin will appreciate the greenness, and if I don't tell my family what's in it first, maybe they'll drink it?;) I find myself spending too much money on food these days, even though I'm a very good list-er when I go grocery shopping and already have prethought out menus for the week. In the end though, food needs to taste good! I loved what you said about beans and freezing them! I went to a stake clas on beans this morning and that was a suggestion given, to make a big pot of them and freeze them into portions for cooking, etc. Brilliant! I guess I could've stayed home and got that info from you! Thanks Deanna!:)
I love your tasteful tuesdays! I made the banana bread last week and it is the best I've ever had! Keep these recipes coming. You must have a very acute palate that all your recipe recommendations are so perfect!
Looks good! I think I am torn between healthy and quick, both are crucial in what I cook
two thumbs up for the Green smoothie. It really tasted like a banana smoothie we grew up with--not one hint of spinach taste to it. I let my kids help make it and they thought it was the best.
Post a Comment