Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Day Like Today...

comes around very unexpectedly and is the best gift a mother can get. Today felt good, not in the way that means I was anything special, but in the way that makes you remember why you do all the things you do. Today was a day that made me grateful to be a mother...not just any mother but the mother of 5 of the best kids around. It started out just like any other but turned out oh so different. I had the day pretty packed with lots of boring things to do, mostly shopping and cleaning. Mike is back on call at the hospital these days so all my shopping has to be done with 5 kids tagging along, and you all know how much kids love to clean. I was really just hoping to get through the day without any major mother meltdowns, and still have 5 kids alive and breathing. We got in the car to go shopping (to 2 stores mind you) and I just asked them to be good shoppers. They were so good! No running away, no trips to the bathroom, no asking for toys or treats I didn't want to spend money on, no fighting with each other. We got out of both stores in under 2 hours and without any tantrums, especially from mom. We headed home and had lunch and then I decided it was time to get started on those jobs....I'm talking about the cleaning the whole house jobs: picking up, vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, folding a hundred loads of laundry, doing the sink full of dirty dishes, etc. We played a fun game of pick a job from the hand full of cards and then do it game. These wonderful kids of mine had this house in great condidtion in about an hour! They worked so hard and kept coming back until the pile of jobs was gone. No complaining, no fighting, no excuses. Just working hard til mom thought it was good. I am so grateful for the wonderful blessing of a great day together! This mom sure needed a reminder of the reason I became a mom....these little blessings from Heaven really are just that. A blessing! And I love them!

3 comments:

Eli, Trieste, and The Gals said...

deanna, you are an amazing mom. and sounds like you have some great helpers. hope all is well with you and the family. the birthday parties looked like a lot of fun and i love the cakes. tell everybody howdy.

Holly said...

Can I borrow your kids? They can teach mine how to be good shoppers :)

Rick Johnson Family said...

Yeah! A good day in the life of a mom is always journal material! Your family is growing up sooo fast! They are all so handsome/beautiful! Love to all.